A Travellerspoint blog

Leaving Koh Phangan and Off On The Road...


sunny 32 °C

Well the rest of the week in Koh Phangan was much the same. Sleeping, sunbathing, drinking whiskey and generally being lazy arses.

On the final day of our second Thai visa, we thought we had better get a move on. Although on the way down the beach we DID consider extending our stay again, but good sense got the better of us, well not really. We stayed up drinking and shenaniganising til all hours in the morning, and then had to get up a few minutes later at 5.30am to get the ferry.

We gottttttttt (Deep Breath) a mini bus to a ferry to another bus to a shop where we got duped into changing our money into Malaysian ringitts at an extorniate rate, then a jeep to a mini bus to a car to a place where we got another mini bus all the way down to Sungai Kolok – aka the eastern border crossing point between Thailand and Malaysia. This 600 km journey took 15 hours.
Rediculous I know.

Needless to say by the time we got to the border town of Sungai Kolok, the border was closed. (That bint in the shop was going hell for leather urging us to change our money into Malaysian Ringitts even though she knew we wouldn’t see that side of Malaysia today – she left us broke and sharing one eggy-ricey dinner between us as we couldn’t pay for two –much to the dismay and anger of another fat old Thai woman.)

So our very nice mini bus driver dropped us to a small hotel in Sungai Kolok. It was a fabulous room with some very welcome air conditioning. :) We headed around the corner to a small ‘buffet’ (ahahahha) where we pointed at dishes and laughed nervously as small Thai women piled weird food that had probably been sitting there all day onto humoungous mounds of rice for us. That was munched with a GIANT beer each, which was desmegginglicious.

The next morning we climbed onto the back of two motorbikes with our giant bags on our backs (Vietnam Stylee) and zoomed off to the border crossing point. We had to pay a tenner each for overstaying our visa by one day (that ould biddy’s fault again) and then onwards we trotted into the Kingdom of Malaysia.

Posted by squeakylee 06:11 Archived in Malaysia

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint